Game Designer & Developer
- Makati, Philippines6th Floor, OPL Building, Makati, Metro Manila, PhilippinesMakatiMetro ManilaPhilippines
- Full time
Game designers may work from their own original idea or use various elements that have already been decided upon. They develop:
- The rules of the game
- The setting
- The story and how it develops
- The characters
- The weapons, vehicles and other devices that characters can use
- Different ways the game may be played
The designer presents these ideas in a concept document or initial design treatment which helps other members of the team to decide whether or not to go ahead with developing the game.
The next stage is for the game's designer to work with a team of artists and programmers to produce a prototype. This is a small-scale, playable version of the game, designed to prove that the idea will work. At the same time, the designer puts together the full game design document which describes in detail every element of the game and how it works.
During the development, the game designer is responsible for:
- Making sure the rest of the team understand the concept of the game
- Making adjustments to the original specification to reflect technical constraints and new programming or artistic developments form the team
- Training testers to play the game – they make sure that it works in the way it is meant to
- Making sure the game experience meets the original vision
- Some game designers work on the whole game, while others might concentrate on one aspect of the design. On large projects, a lead designer oversees the work of a number of designers.
- Actual game creation including but not limited to coding and programming
- Other potential areas of work which includes audio, design, production, and visual arts
- Be a college graduate with a degree in Computer / Digital Arts or equivalent
- Must be a game tester and has a strong portfolio
- Be creative, imaginative and original
- Be fluent in a number of software/software packages
- Understand the market and target audience for computer games
- Have problem-solving skills
- Enjoy IT and playing computer games
- Have storytelling ability, as well as basic drawing & 3D design skills
- Understand the capabilities and benefits of different hardware including PCs, consoles and mobile devices
- Be willing to keep up to date with new developments and trends in the computer games market
Feel secure when applying: look for the verified icon and always do your research on a company. Avoid and report situations when employers require payment or work without compensation as part of their application process.