Senior DevOps Engineer
- Makati, Philippines
- Full time
- The Senior DevOps Engineer creates and maintains software and processes that ensure the reliability and availability of the Press digital platforms/websites and their software delivery pipelines.
- The key platform covered by the role will be Cambridge Core – the Academic research platform which supports a revenue of £40+ million per year. They will also be responsible for support and design aspects of the Global E-commerce platform, the Web Marketing Platform, and a number of legacy digital product websites.
- This is principally a hands-on technical role though the role will also line manage a small team of DevOps engineers providing a similar, though more directed, support service across the respective platforms.
Use core DevOps principles - culture, automation, testing and measurement - to build and maintain pipelines that focus on rapid software delivery and site reliability.
Work with the Solutions Architect, development and QA teams to automate as many processes as possible, maintaining and improving a stable continuous delivery pipeline for both software and infrastructure. Create tools to enable rapid provisioning of resources (including environments) by all teams.
Use automation and monitoring tools to improve site reliability. Support the development teams in resolving issues, and provide particular troubleshooting expertise in infrastructure, networking and tiered application design. Act as a point of expertise for cloud services, especially AWS PaaS.
Develop a deep understanding of the technology infrastructure for Cambridge Core and other platforms/websites falling within the remit of the Platform Technology group.
Work closely with the Web Solutions Architect to help shape future direction for infrastructural and engineering aspects of Press platforms. Take responsibility for communicating and implementing that longer term strategy across relevant technology teams within the Manila office.
Act as a bridge between development teams and central technology functions such as networks team, global hosting team, and service desk.
Direct and prioritise the work of the DevOps team as they provide support across the respective technology platforms.
Participate on an on-call rota to provide out of hours support when required.
Create and maintain technical documentation for the infrastructural elements of the Cambridge Core and related platforms.
Keep a close involvement with ongoing developments within the DevOps community and continually look to bring improvements into our working practices.
To carry out any other duties which may be reasonably expected of you by your immediate manager or a senior director.
- Educated to degree level of equivalent and with a minimum of 5 years proven experience in a systems administration or dev-ops blended role
- Thorough knowledge of Linux/Unix systems and large scale web applications.
- A background in automation, including configuration management (Puppet, Chef, Ansible), orchestration (Cloudformation) and Continuous Integration/Delivery. Strong scripting e.g. Bash, Ruby or Python.
- A good knowledge of cloud computing infrastructure, especially using Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, Route53 etc.)
- A breadth of expertise across relevant technologies including: Elasticsearch, MongoDb, Neo4J, Marklogic, MySQL, Java, Node.js, PHP/Apache, Logstash/Kibana, Vagrant, Packer, Selenium, SVN, Git/GitLab, Docker, Qualys.
- Team lead or team management experience, ideally gained within geographically distributed teams.
- Excellent troubleshooting, debugging, communication and documentation skills
- Experience of working within an Agile product development environment.
Feel secure when applying: look for the verified icon and always do your research on a company. Avoid and report situations when employers require payment or work without compensation as part of their application process.