How to Tell If a Candidate’s Lying During an Interview

One of the biggest challenges about job interviews is that interviewers can’t detect if a candidate is telling the truth, which can lead to a bad hire. So how can you tell if a job candidate is lying during an interview? You can’t. Not really.

Not all hope is lost. There are some clues you can use to determine whether someone is telling the truth.

Watch out for the body language

You might have heard that the avoiding eye contact and fidgeting is an indication of lying, however, nervousness is a natural behavior especially in high-stakes conditions – like a job interview. In a study across 75 countries, they found that using cues of nervous behavior to detect lying is unreliable.

Professor DeSteno’s experiments on trustworthy body language found that a set of four cues, taken together, seems to indicate deception, and should be what you should look out for:

• hand touching
  • face touching
  • arms crossing
  • leaning away

body language cues that indicate that someone is lying

Source: HBR

Watch out for verbal cues

In their review of the research on lie detection, researchers found that there is no word (or nonverbal cue) that is directly related to someone lying. However, there are behaviors that were found to be correlated with lying:

• They are being too vague/provide few details
    • They are contradicting
    • Their answers or responses are overly scripted and chronological
How to Tell If a Candidate's Lying During an Interview

Source: LinkedIn

However, the research say that trying to detect whether a job candidate is lying during an interview is difficult and probably not really worth the effort. A better way to do it is to make sure your interviews are designed to best predict the candidate’s future job performance, like increasing validity by asking questions related to the knowledge, skills, abilities, and characteristics required for the job.

The truth is that job interviews often fail not because the job candidate is deceptive, but because the interviewer isn’t conducting a proper interview in the first place.

Sign up on Kalibrr and start hiring better today! You can also follow us on Facebook for more business and recruiter advice.

11 thoughts on “How to Tell If a Candidate’s Lying During an Interview

1. Veronique

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Very useful info particularly the last part :
    ) I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular information for a long
    time. Thank you and good luck.

2. www.mapquest.com

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I believe that you should publish more on this issue, it may not
    be a taboo matter but usually people do not speak about
    these topics. To the next! Best wishes!!

3. www.sheepsheadbites.com

I have been browsing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found
    any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me.
    In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good
    content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

4. memorial stone brother

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no
    back up. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

5. usplaces.com

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad
    and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just
    so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and
    she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with
    someone!

6. Stone Tributes Lisovetsky

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang
    of it!

7. casashanti.us

Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her
    ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

8. wurexian

I am glad for writing to let you be aware of what a great discovery my princess enjoyed viewing yuor web blog. She noticed many things, with the inclusion of what it’s like to have an awesome helping style to let most people without problems understand a variety of very confusing things. You truly did more than visitors’ desires. Many thanks for displaying these priceless, dependable, edifying and as well as fun tips on this topic to Jane.