Work Productivity and Hacks
What Would You Do if You Were Fired Today? 5 Ways To Be Prepared
February 3, 2015
Consider the above-mentioned question as useful advice to always be ready for the unexpected and to draw up contingency career plans in case the worst-case scenario happens at work. If you were suddenly fired, would you know what to do and would you be able to find another job right away? Here are five things you can do to always be ready:
- Go on Coffee Meetings - Keep up with your network by grabbing some coffee with different professional contacts that can keep you in the loop.
- Create a “Resume Dump” – Having a “resume dump” is where you can include every possible accomplishment and notable moment. This makes it easier to pull a resume together if you need to in an instant, and it also gives you a single place to monitor all that you’ve done.
- Update Your LinkedIn Page –Go to LinkedIn and update your job descriptions and connect with clients, vendors, and other people from your current job to keep your connection list fresh.
- Keep Up With Industry News - Subscribe to a widely regarded industry newsletter, or join professional groups online or in person. You don’t want to be left out of the loop about the trends and happenings in your field.
- Save, Save, Save - Calculate how much money you’d need in order to live for three to six months of unemployment.