- 1 opening
- Preferred Educational Attainment
- Graduated from college
- 15 hours ago
- Application deadline
- in a month
- Recruiter responds
- 6% of the time
- Recruiter last seen
- 11 hours ago
- Broadcast Media
- Employment Type
- Full time
- Office Address
- Wolter Monginsidi, South Jakarta, Indonesia
VICE is opening a new office in Indonesia and we’re looking for a managing editor to join our team. Ideal candidates would be bilingual (English and Bahasa Indonesia) with three to five (3-5) years experience working in the media and a wide-ranging set of interests that touch on the various verticals VICE has to offer.
Candidates who are also comfortable on-camera are a plus.
- The managing editor will be tasked with overseeing our Bahasa Indonesia coverage. The role requires someone who can edit stories, manage staff writers and think of ideas that add to our coverage. We have a small team and our office environment is more of “startup” than “big media company.”
- The tone and style of the writing is a big concern, so the managing editor will need to develop guidelines for an appropriate tone (VICE is, at times, authoritative and also conversational in the way we write). Our stories need to be less formal than the newspaper, but not as loose as a personal blog. It’s a difficult balance to strike, and it’s one you will have to develop and maintain with our staff writers, translators and freelancers.
- Our coverage includes news stories, op-eds, Q&As and news features on a wide-variety of topics, including arts, music, culture, the environment, food, politics, terrorism, fashion, gender issues … the list goes on. We are basically looking for well-rounded candidates who feel as comfortable working on a story about on working conditions in the agricultural sector as they do conducting a humorous Q&A with a rising indie band.
VICE is a global youth media company and the industry leader in producing and distributing the best online video content in the world. Launched in 1994 as a punk magazine, VICE now operates in 36 countries and has expanded into a multimedia network, including the world's premier source for original online video, VICE.COM; an international network of digital channels; a television & feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; TV Channel; and a book-publishing division.
Indonesia is the latest office of VICE to open and shall be creating its own content, shows and material in dual language, developing and maintaing its own sales and advertising inventory and supporting VICE's global operations and vision as maintaining the position as the leading youth media company in the world and further diversifying into new media, technology and youth culture.