Here at Tala, we are looking to hire a talented lawyer based out of our Manila office to help us manage legal operations in Southeast Asia. The Assistant Counsel will work on a variety of matters with other members of Tala’s global legal team, including corporate governance and compliance matters, commercial contracts and addressing the unique challenges that arise in a global, growing startup. We are seeking a highly motivated, self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative environment. In this challenging position, you will report to our Associate General Counsel and work closely with our Manila-based business team.
The ideal Assistant Counsel candidate will have commercial law firm, in-house and FinTech experience and experience with handling a wide variety of commercial matters.
- Manage regulatory compliance, corporate governance and other compliance matters in the Philippines
- Stay up to date on relevant rules and regulations and work with the US Legal team to evaluate how they may affect Tala’s innovative and growing business
- Support contract negotiation and collaborate with business teams to develop effective relationships with partners, contractors and vendors
- Maintain our contract management system
- Work with our Associate General Counsel on other special projects
- Law degree
- RA 1080 BAR (BAR Passer)
- Three to four years of legal experience
- Experience in consumer finance and financial regulation
- Experience working on commercial contracts
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- In house legal experience, preferably at a FinTech or financial services company
- Experience working with US business partners
- Experience working at a startup
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala’s smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Mexico City, and Bangalore.
Perks and Benefits
- Work from Home
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Bereavement/Family Leave
- Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Single Parent Leave
- Special Leave Benefits for Women
- Retirement Benefit Plans
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Medical, Prescription, Dental, or Vision Plans
- Transportation Allowances
- Free Lunch or Snacks
- Stock Options
- Auditing and Compliance
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Law and Government
- Financial Reporting
- Legal Writing
Feel secure when applying: look for the verified icon and always do your research on a company. Avoid and report situations when employers require payment or work without compensation as part of their application process.