Under the supervision of the Executive Director (ED), the Program Officer provides administrative, marketing and public relations support in the ARETE operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
A. Administrative Support
- Drafts policies for use of Areté space and equipment based on consultation with tenants of Arete, and forwards to the ED for approval.
- Assists the Sandbox committee in secretariat and logistics related to vetting and implementation of project grants (e.g. collation of applications, sending proposals to panel, panel meetings & deliberation, sending of results) .
- Maintains a file of ongoing and completed research / projects in Areté.
- Assists the ED in preparing reports and presentations.
- Attends meetings as assigned by the ED and provides documentation of the discussion.
B. Program Management and Implementation
- Liaises with foreign and local cultural organizations for possible partnerships.
- Coordinates events aimed at bringing together the creativity and innovation wings of the Areté with each other and with the public (lectures, brown bag sessions, open houses).
- Organizes workshops, classes, and other events that will strengthen Areté’s role as a creative hub.
- Serves as point person for conferences and fora organized by Areté and its partners which involves contributing to conference agenda, meeting with Areté partners to discuss details of the event, monitoring agreements, and evaluating its progress.
- Coordinates with groups that can run public workshops to develop activities that are appropriate for Areté’s audiences.
- Coordinates with the Areté team and external facilitators
- Receives and tracks payments from participants and passes them to facilitators
- Evaluates activities through post-mortems with fellow staff, facilitators, and participants (if possible).
C. Marketing and Public Relations
- Plans and implements the marketing and PR plan.
- Creates materials to promote events.
- Disseminates information about grants, lectures, exhibitions and other activities in Areté to target audiences
- Disseminates information about researches being done in the Sandboxes through appropriate communication channels.
- Handles the social media accounts of Areté.
- Updates the website of Areté.
- Coordinates with University Marketing and Communications Office (UMCO) for live streaming of Arete talks and events.
- Coordinates press coverage of events.
- Develops and implements audience building and fundraising programs.
D. Logistical Support
- Assists in the logistical preparations for events and programs run by the Executive Director and Artistic Director’s Office.
- Coordinates events requirements with various suppliers for food, tents, tables chairs, sound system etc.
E. Performs other work-related tasks as may be assigned by the Executive Director or authorized representative.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge in marketing and public relations
- Knowledgeable in MS application and Adobe Suites or other editing software applications
- Must have good people skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple assignments at the same time
- Competent in social media management
- Knowledge of how to maintain a website
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in any business-related field
- 2-3 years related experience