It was Leonardo da Vinci who said: “Learning never exhausts the mind,” this is because learning is one of the most powerful tools you’d need to accelerate your career. Now that we are living in a world where the Internet has become central to our lives, information technology jobs in the industry are endless.
It is equally important to know which career path you’re taking to make the most of the trainings or certifications available. These investments require focus, time, and a significant amount of money, which you will benefit from in the long run.
There are hundreds of certifications and trainings an IT professional can choose from. IT has a lot of branches and each branch has its own certification and level of expertise. That said, here are some important things to consider before choosing which certification or training to invest in:
- What is your chosen career path? Are you aiming for Web Development? System Engineer? Programmer?
- What are your career objectives?
- Is the certification relevant to your chosen career?
- Do you have time to finish the class?
- Do you have the funds to get certified?
Once you’ve gathered your thoughts with the guide questions above, it will be easier for you to determine which certification or training is suitable for you.
As mentioned, there are hundreds of them but these are among the most relevant and recommended certifications most IT professionals or even IT graduates can take to advance their career.
Six Sigma is one of the certifications you can acquire to advance your career in the field of technology or business management in the Philippines. Six Sigma offers Lean Certification Programs (similar to Judo), namely, Black Belt, Green Belt, and Yellow Belt. Under these learning hierarchy are three learning mediums:
- e-Learning – the ideal way to start your training experience in Sigma. A complete online course that will give you an overview on Six Sigma’s techniques, tools, metrics, process management and basic improvement methodologies. The online course comes with 16 hours of training videos, online exams, and downloadable PDF handouts. Upon completion, you will be awarded with a Six Sigma Yellow Belt Training Certification. Investment cost: P8,000
- Classroom Training – the most practical and effective Lean Certification program. Training days are held on weekdays, from 8 AM to 5 PM at DLSU RCBC campus or at One Pacific Place. This is a level ahead from the e-Learning modules, you will learn from the experts on the DMAIC methodology and tools (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) to attain better and lower cost products and processes. This program will be highly beneficial if you’re aiming to be a Quality Leader, a Professional, or an Executive Business Owner.
- Apprenticeship Program – caters to working professionals who cannot attend classroom trainings due to working schedules, proximity and budget concerns. Similar to the e-Learning process, the apprenticeship program features e-Learning modules based from the classroom training sessions. After the completion of the program and passing examinations, the apprentices will be mentored by Filipino certified six sigma black belts to help you complete the last project requirement.
For the classroom training and apprenticeship program, the investment costs will depend on the ‘belt’ certification you’ll be choosing (green belt is cheaper than black belt). Group payments and early birds will also have discounts. If you’re already interested to be coached and trained the Six Sigma way just like PLDT, Convergys, BDO, and DLSU, then Six Sigma’s certification is your best foot forward to IT advancement.
ActiveLearning combines business technology and fun to form an interactive training process that you can wholly participate in. The courseware are as follows:
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) courses
- Java courses
- Microsoft .NET courses
- Project management courses
- Systems Analysis courses
- Security courses
- Web development courses
- Mobile development courses
- Linux courses
- Database courses
- XML courses
Proven and tested IT and project management courses by major companies such as Procter & Gamble Asia Pte, Ltd., Globe Telecom, Inc., and Telus International Philippines, which were all mentored by the industry experts, coupled with a superior and competitive courseware, training and certification will be the new fun for you.
As one of the reputed technology institution in the country, Mapúa sticks true to this notion by offering courses on what they do best, which is, information technology. MITC offers TESDA-accredited courses on project management, Cisco, Unix/Linux, Microsoft, Oracle, and other IT courses such as business analysis, technical writing, accounting for non-accountants, and lean management. MITC has its own share of honchos they’ve served as well, Land Bank, Bank of Makati, Samsung, and Sun Life are among the few. MITC will ensure that once you’ve enrolled in their courses, you’ll be stamped with Mapúa excellence.
CNCTC was established as a TESDA-accredited training center in 2000. As the computer industry grew, many Filipinos have become interested on the field of information technology, which made CNCTC offer short courses and e-Learning modules as an answer. Specializing on real hands-on IT training programs with less emphasis on principle discussions, particularly on TESDA Computer Hardware Servicing (NCII courses), CompTIA+ courses, Cisco-CCNA courses, Microsoft and Linux enterprise courses, and AutoCAD application. Each class size are designed to have a minimum of 3 students to a maximum of 12 to get the best out of each student.
All of CNCTC’s IT instructors are Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), CCNP, and RHCT with years of industrial experience. Most of their students were satisfied with their instructors, stating that each one is a knowledgeable trainer and approachable.
Most Filipino IT graduates and professionals dream to be a part of Microsoft’s team. In fact, I have met a lot of Filipinos aspiring to have a career with one of the largest computer and technology industry in the world. As IT enthusiasts, being certified by Microsoft is a great achievement.
Let me introduce the Wizardsgroup, Oracle and Microsoft’s gold certified partner for business intelligence and cloud deployment. You’ll be leveling up with IT professionals in 7 courses:
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) – IT infrastructure, database, developer
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) – application lifecycle, web application, windows apps
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) – windows, SQL servers
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) – data, communications, cloud, business intelligence
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM)
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
The Wizardsgroup have bestowed their magic on a number of local brands too, some of them are the Philippine Associate of Secretaries, CDO Foodsphere, Inc., and ABS-CBN Interactive. If Microsoft certification is your target, the Wizards will gladly help you with it (does not include magic wands and special effects).
The Academy for Professional Excellence (APEX) ensures that the road to IT and business management certification will be of high caliber and a remarkable career advancement for all enrollees. In collaboration with Asia’s leading process improvement solutions provider, ECCI, APEX has promoted performance superiority among professionals.
APEX’s way of global learning is achieved through five channels: trainings (industry specific programs), conferences (avenues for the thought-professionals), master classes (proficiency in the professional field), managed services (training management), and learning on demand (e-learning content). APEX provides 5 courses in which you can certify in:
- IT Excellence (IT security and data center)
- Business Process Excellence (Project management, tools, risk management)
- Behavioral Excellence (People management)
- Standards and Compliance (Development management)
- Corporate Sustainability and Governance
APEX has served thousands of satisfied customers for the past years such as BPI, Aboitiz, and Fujitsu, APEX Global will lead the way to Relevant, Engaging, Accessible, and Lasting (REAL) certification.
I know most companies provide training sessions but if you want to be ahead of the game, enroll yourself to trusted center-based trainings for worldwide recognized certifications. Furthermore, equip yourself by reading blogs and following thought leaders in the IT sector for further learning experiences.
For more information on ways to advance your IT career, read my article about it here.